The Hinckley Triumph Bonneville Ignition Pickup Coil

Towards the end of last summer, I was plagued with a problem where my motorcycle would shut down while on the road. It's a pretty hairy when your engine just gives out all of a sudden on the highway. The bike would eventually start back up after resting for a bit. That is how the problem started. Eventually it got worst and worst where it would shut down after riding for 10 minutes and fails to start that I had to push the bike back home.

Let me tell you, nothing kills the romanticism of a motorcycle than having to push it uphill.  One thing about motorcycle problems, you just can't ignore it. It just gets worst. From the little I know about motorcycles, I assumed the problem was with my carburetor. So this winter I took apart, cleaned and rebuilt my carburetors. I thought I was BMOC when I was able to put it together and got the bike started this Spring. Until the bike summarily shut down and I had it to push it back home. Thankfully it was a short test ride.

I needed help. The best place to get advice for a Triumph Bonneville owner is Triumphrat.net. The members in this board are knowledgeable and very helpful. The feedback I got led me to look into the ignition pickup coil. I had a problem about three years ago that turned out to be the coil. At that time, I had a mechanic troubleshoot the problem and eventually led to replacing that part. This time, I was determined to do this myself.

What is the Ignition Pickup Coil?

The Ignition Pickup Coil is part of a feedback mechanism that sends crankshaft position and speed to the igniter. It's located inside the right-hand side crank case (alternator). It's mounted near the alternator rotor. The magnetic signal is "picked-up" when raised protrusions comes close to the pickup coil as the alternator turns. This signal, along with other feedback (e.g. throttle position sensor) is used by the igniter to calculate the correct ignition timing it sends to the ignition HT coil. The ignition HT coil in turns signals the spark plugs when to fire.

Check Coil Resistance

Igniter Side Connector
The first and easiest thing to check is the coil's resistance. The coil connector is located under the seat. Remove the seat and look for a connector that is connected to a cable with a black and red wire running down into the right-hand side crank case. Measure across the connector's two points.

Pickup Coil Connector
The resistance should measure around 600 ohms. When I measured mine, it was only reading 100 ohms. That's pretty bad. At this point, there is nothing to do buy and install a new one.


Check Gap

If the resistance is good, the next thing to check is the spacing between the ignition pickup coil and the protrusions on the alternator. You'll have to open up alternator cover and line up the top of one of the protrusions with the bottom of the coil. When opening the alternator cover, put the bike on it's side stand. This will keep the oil from spilling out of the engine. Expect a drop or two to come out but no more. Also, have a rubber mallet handy to help loosen it off. There will also some resistance from the alternator magnets so a bit of elbow grease is needed to get the cover off. To line up the coil with a protrusion, put the bike on 5th gear and rotate the back tire by pushing the bike forward. Do not stand the bike up or you'll have an oily mess on the floor. The gap should measure 0.8 mm.

Replacing the Ignition Pickup Coil

You can buy a new ignition pickup coil from the dealer. You can also get it online at Bikebandit. It's going to cost about $73. It's Triumph part number T1290131. You may also need a new alternator cover gasket (part number T1260968). The ignition pickup coil is attached with two T30 torx screws. These screws are on tight. Be careful when taking the screws off as not to hit  the rotor below. Once the coil has loosened, it's a simple matter of unhooking it off the restraint and disconnecting it. Connect the new part and attached it with the original screws. Measure the ignition coil gap as noted earlier before replacing the cover.

Going Forward

This is the second time that I had to replace the ignition pickup coil in the seven years that I've owned my bike. I am going to buy an extra coil to make sure I have the part on hand if ever I need it (more than likely I will). Also, as part of my yearly bike check up I will make sure to check the ignition pick up coil resistance.

Comments

  1. Thanx for your post, I'm trying to replace a pick up coil on my dads 2005 Triumph Bonneville right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you you enjoyed the post. How did the replacement go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - will let you know how I go - Mick 2007 T100

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this, just ordered a new coil. will replace and hopefully this will fix this issue. what a f'n pain this is to get stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good post, thanks....mine is fried, ordered a new one along with procom cdi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 2004 Bonnie seems to have an intermittent firing problem so took the alternator cover off to check/clean airgap etc but ruined gasket and snapped one of the bolts so had to drill out and retap thread. Have purchased new Lucas coil so will fit that and only change pick up coil as last resort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very much. Great post, very detailed, a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to say thanks for your blog.... last year I had a hard tail bobber built based on a 2002 Bonneville & it kept breaking down, after numerous searches online (along with new coil, plugs, HT leads, etc.) I found your blog describing the exact same problems. Last week I ordered a new pickup coil & gasket (along with the right Torx bit, thanks for putting that as well!).... fitted the parts today & instant success, runs perfectly! Really appreciated & thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I too lost spark on my 2005 Bonneville. When I went to test the pickup coil I found it has three wires, not two. Was there a change in the coil from one year to another at some point?

      Delete
  10. After 30,000 Km the 'Igniter'died,then six months later the Bonny started when it felt like it. Replaced the Coil and it went well. Next day....Nothing ! Final cab on the rank is the 'Pickup coil'...Here's hoping ! Not impressed with Triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I dont have running problems at the moment but my bike is 16 yrs old so I expect i'll be doing this job soon. Will be checking the coil resistance tonight tho, just to see.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I did everything as followed and my bike is still acting up at take off. It loses complete power and suddenly gains it back hiccuping past lights during tonight’s test ride. What should I check next bc I am lost at this point? Thank you kindly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still shutting down during take off? The important part of troubleshooting for this specific issue is measuring the coil. Make sure it reads 600 Ohms. Otherwise, the only issue that I can think of that could cause a starting issue (once you are actually able to crank the engine) are the carburetors.

      Delete

Post a Comment